1. Your name and club and your position
Tony Rodgers BSc, JP General Manager - Kogarah Golf Club
2. What is your biggest or has been your biggest challenge with the club/ area?
In a smaller metropolitan golf club there are all of the obvious challenges of managing membership expectation, controlling budgets, myriad compliance issues as well as in my particular circumstance dealing with the land issues and the seemingly inevitable intrusions of statutory authorities eg RMS, Sydney Water and the like needing easements through the course (Desalinated Water Delivery Pipeline, Moomba (SA) to Botany ethane pipeline), acquisition of land for road works (WestConnex construction reducing the course from 18 to 15 holes during construction)and a long running redevelopment proposal. All significant challenges but by far the biggest challenge is not to be consumed by it all and ensure that you make time for family and life outside of work.
3. What has been some of your achievements or highlights since being at the club?
Linked to the above issues I have been involved in the successful conclusion of three major land acquisition and compensation matters and successful negotiation of a multi-million dollar redevelopment proposal. Through all of the disruption and uncertainty attached to these matters the Club has maintained a strong membership and continues to attract new members.
4. Is there a piece of advice or something compelling you have learnt that you can pass on to our readers and up and coming managers?
This is not new advice but I wonder how many appreciate its importance; your staff is your greatest asset. Respect them, inform them and empower them.
5. Outside of the club and your role there. Do you have any hobbies or passions? Tell us a bit about you.
Being a keen golfer, which is what led me to my present position, I still enjoy any opportunity I have, outside of work and family, to play golf. It’s even better when I get the chance to travel and play golf either with my family or my golfing mates. Family however is paramount and being with my wife and two beautiful daughters is what I enjoy most.